How Civil Engineers Help with Development Consulting
Before you start a construction project, it’s essential to have a plan in place and consider any and all potential risks and pitfalls before they arise. During the planning phase, there are many things to consider, from zoning laws to site feasibility. Navigating this process can be tricky, but fortunately for you, your local civil engineering firm can help you with development consulting services. In addition to land surveys and construction surveys, civil engineering firms can provide development consulting in the form of:
- Site Feasibility Studies. Not every parcel of land will be suitable for the use you have in mind. One sure way to derail your project is to purchase land with a particular use in mind only to discover later that it’s not suitable or cannot legally be used for its intended purpose. Civil engineers can provide assistance by performing site feasibility studies. Site feasibility studies give you the information you need to determine the highest and best use of the parcel you’re considering. By starting your project with a professional site feasibility study, you can move past the land purchasing process with confidence that the site you’ve chosen is suitable for your purposes.
- Zoning Assistance. Zoning laws are complex and your time is valuable. Development consultants act as guides through the regulatory maze of rules and regulations that govern commercial building projects. Without expert guidance from a trusted civil engineer, you might find yourself confused due to conflicting information. A qualified development consulting service can quickly check that your project meets zoning regulations so you can get your project off the ground ASAP.
- Permitting Assistance. Every building project requires multiple permits. Just like zoning laws, the application process for permits is complex and can be quite confusing. Luckily, development consultants help with this as well. The requirements of a building project vary based on project type and location. A development consulting service can guide you through this process and ensure that you have all the necessary permits for your project.
- Due Diligence Consulting. When you’re buying or selling property, you’re required to perform “due diligence,” which is defined as exercising “reasonable care” to ensure all risks associated with the property have been assessed. It’s a big job. A civil engineer who offers development consulting services can perform due diligence for you and give you the peace of mind that the project will go according to plan before you break ground.
Regardless of the nature of the building project you’re considering, development consultants can make your building process more streamlined, cost-effective and manageable. Development consultants not only save you time by offering assistance in tricky-to-navigate areas, but they also provide you with information and expert opinions that give you the confidence you need to spend less time worrying and more time building.
Roger Ward Engineering (RWE) is a locally owned civil engineering and consulting firm based in Indianapolis, Indiana. Founded in 1999 by Roger Ward Jr., Roger Ward Engineering specializes in:
- Civil engineering: Roger Ward Engineering offers land planning and site design services with the knowledge and experience to guide your project from start to finish.
- Development consulting: Roger Ward Engineering development consulting services include: site feasibility studies, zoning assistance, permitting and due diligence.
- Land surveying: Roger Ward Engineering offers a variety of land surveying services, including: boundary and topographic surveys, as-built surveys (also known as in place surveys,) construction staking and ALTA/NSPS surveys.
- Sustainable design: Roger Ward Engineering has completed numerous sustainable design projects, focusing on low impact design, LEED certification and green building design.
- Utility infrastructure: Roger Ward, Sr. heads up the utility infrastructure division at Roger Ward Engineering. Their utility infrastructure services include wastewater consulting and facilities consulting.